Thursday, November 3, 2011

Steve Jobs --- gained the temporary and lost the eternal


Mark 8:36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Jobs, in one of his taped interviews before his death said the following:

You're born alone, you're gonna die alone.”

Further on in the interview, on the subject of why Steve Jobs wasn't operated on immediately when he discovered he had pancreatic cancer, Steve Kroft asked Isaacson, “How could such a smart man do such a stupid thing? ”

As I thought about this news item on 60 minutes and about Steve Jobs life, I couldn't help but apply this question to Jobs statement, “You're born alone, you're gonna die alone”. How did he miss the entire point of life? Did he ignore the evidence all around him? Was he presented the gospel by a born-again Christian? Was he unusual in his thoughts or is this what most Americans -- most people think? Am I the only one who is asking these questions?

Now I know he is only one soul but still it was a soul so precious that Jesus died on the cross to provide forgiveness and eternal life to even Steve Jobs. So many scriptures race to the forefront of my mind contradicting his statement “You're born alone, you're gonna die alone.”

Psalms 139:7-10: “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me.”

Later on in that same chapter vv 13-16:
For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.”

During all of our life (and beyond) He has promised those who are born again that: "I will never leave you nor forsake you." (Heb 13:5b)

That scripture alone covers the rest of eternity, but to be a bit more specific the Bible also says: 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17: But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. “For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.”

Did you note that Christians who had already left this life COME BACK WITH HIM!!

Later in the interview, Isaacson said Steve Jobs started talking about God in this manner.
"Sometimes I believe in God, sometimes I don't. I think it's 50-50 maybe. But ever since I've had cancer, I've been thinking about it more. And I find myself believing a bit more. I kind of-- maybe it's 'cause I want to believe in an afterlife. That when you die, it doesn't just all disappear. The wisdom you've accumulated. Somehow it lives on." Then he paused for a second and he said, "Yeah, but sometimes I think it's just like an on-off switch. Click and you're gone."

How can so many people, Steve Jobs included come to such a wrong conclusion? Again scripture supplies answers, even when we might not want to hear them.

Romans 1:18-25: “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.”

Steve Jobs was a billionaire; a man many almost worshiped. If you don't believe that, you don't follow the tech world closely as I do.....Believe it! Yet his life had what purpose? Maybe you heard one during the interview.....I didn't. Did his products have an effect on the world? Certainly! Will his name show up in history books....probably, for a while. Yet is that it?? Is that what life is about? To make some products that people really like and use AND to be put in a history book? Maybe that was enough for Steve Jobs but not for me. My father, who has long ago 'graduated to glory' used to say something like this.....”After you have died (as the world calls it), after 6 weeks the people at your job will have replaced you and will hardly think of you. After 6 months only very few people will think of you on a regular basis. In 60 years no one alive on the earth will ever know you existed”. That is so true BUT......if you are a born again Christian, God doesn't forget your name....doesn't forget you because you'll be with Him!

So what is the point of life? Certainly many more eloquent could say it better but here's my shot at it. The point of life is to be born again, to live a God inspired life so that you can affect (maybe infect is a word that would work as well) others for Jesus. To prepare in this short, short life for the next life which is eternal. I choose God and heaven for the next life. What about you?

God bless all who bless HIS name!
Brother Dave


No comments: