Saturday, February 5, 2011

Random thoughts from early 2011

As a man who's been around this old world long enough to pause and reflect AND a pastor who has a great concern for the spiritual health of not only the members of our church but of those who have left the church, I can't help but wonder how the church in the United States has reached the state it is in now. When did the 'Teachings' of the word of God become a minor concern in the church today. It would seem the for many of those who attend church today, making sure that church 'activities' for our families have taken precedence. I wouldn't be as concerned if those same people were actually involved in these activities/ministries but the great majority seemed to want these ministries yet don't want to be involved in working in the ministries they want for their families. Have we really become a 'McDonalds generation. We want what we want when we want it but only want to go through the drive through.....no involvement. I am truly shocked by those I've talked to who would go to a church who's beliefs they don't subscribe to, just to have the activities that would keep their families involved.

My concern is deeper than just that however since I can't believe that our attitude toward our church would be different than our attitude towards our relationship to Christ! Do we really think we can have a proper, satisfying, faith-filling relationship to Christ by giving Him, at best a 30 second prayer at meals added with a 5 minute prayer before bed???? Will attendance at worship church (no Sunday School; no evening or midweek service) really be all we need? Will that kind of a time investment give us the faith that sustains WHEN (not if) life goes bad/ our family turns against us / our health fails / and society at large writes us off as not valuable?

I have questions about these things. I feel that I have been born 'out of season' in the sense that what I see in the Bible about what God expects our personal life; our family life; and our church life in no way resembles what they actually are as being played out in our lives.

I know that the 'MESSAGE" is the only important aspect BUT I presently don't see the "MESSAGE" being given the prime and supreme position it is commanded to be in the Bible.

May God help me to do what I can as close to the way God wants me to do it.

No comments: